On Thanksgiving alone, 104 million medium sized (5.3 ounce) potatoes will be consumed in the United States. I am amazed by that number!
The US Potato Board has all kinds of interesting statistics about potatoes.
* One medium-size potato (5.3 ounces) has just 110 calories and is absolutely fat free
* This darling of the dinner table provides 45% of your daily value of vitamin C
* When eaten with the skin, potatoes have more potassium than a banana
* On average, a potato costs $.25 – now that’s nutrition on a budget!
The Incas had many uses for potatoes other than dinner:
* They placed raw slices on broken bones to promote healing
* They carried them to prevent rheumatism
* They ate potatoes with other foods to prevent indigestion.
* They measured time by correlating units of time by how long it took for potatoes to cook.
Here are some easy gluten-free recipes from the US Potato Board.