Follow Jen on Facebook Follow Jen on Twitter Follow Jen on Pinterest Email Jen Cafferty

Flatbread Wraps instead of tortillas

I had a few extra minutes last night and I thought I would make our fish tacos in flatbread instead of my usual corn tortillas.  What a treat!  The flatbread was soft, warm and a welcoming addition to our tilapia tacos with mango salsa.

I make my flatbread wraps using Breads from Anna Yeast-Free Bread Mix.  I also have a flatbread maker which makes the whole process so easy.  It takes me less than three minutes to make the batter and then I make the flatbread while I am preparing the rest of our dinner.  You can find flatbread makers here.

I follow the directions on the Breads from Anna website for the flatbread.

Add these wet ingredients to the dry flour blend:

• 3 whole eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups of water, milk or non-dairy drink
  • 1/3 cup oil (canola, olive, coconut, butter or any other oil you like using)

Directions:

1. Blend well until all lumps are smooth.
  2. Spoon out 3-4 tablespoons of dough and place onto center of Flatbread maker.
  3. Close lid and let sit about 2 minutes.
  4. Place handle down over lid and press down adding pressure to flatten out bread.
  5. Repeat this 2-3 times in quick succession while adding pressure; you need to do this downward pressure to allow steam to escape.

One package of mix will make approximately 20 pieces of flatbread/wraps.
Dough can be stored in refrigerator for 24 hours and used incrementally.

©2009 Breads From Anna. All rights reserved.

salty fig partner 23

Follow Me on TwitterLike my recipes? Don't miss one -

13 Responses to “Flatbread Wraps instead of tortillas”

1. Sandy Milne says:

What do you do if you don’t have a flatbread maker? Thanks, Sandy

• jkcafferty says:

You could thin out the batter slightly and spread it in a frying pan (definitely spray the pan first). I would cook one side and then flip it over. Maybe cover it with something heavy, like a smaller pan to flatten it out more.

Also, check the Breads from Anna site and see if she has any recommendations. But, I would buy a flatbread maker if you can afford one. They are under $50 and I just love mine! Jen

2. Just looking through your recent blog posts and this one definitely caught my eye. I don’t have a tortilla maker, but tortillas are about the only thing I miss in my GF life. I love making green chile stew and those old-fashioned white tortillas are the best for dipping. The brown rice and teff ones just don’t cut it. But your version looks really good and I’m thinking I better head over to Bed, Bath and Beyond with my 20% off coupon, buy one and try your recipe. I’ll keep you posted. =)

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Melissa

3. susan says:

i wont the tilapia taco receipe!

• jkcafferty says:

Hi Susan,

Recovering from a little medical issue…I’ll get you the recipe soon!! It is so easy and delicious. Jen

4. Wow! great information. I want to make flatbread! I’m off to the site for the recipe and info about flat bread makers. I’ve been wanting gluten free flatbread for a long time.

This is my first time on your site and I’m enjoying browsing through the posts. I would love it if you would visit my gluten free blog site too and take a look around.

5. Question: How much of the bread mix do you use for the wet ingredients recipe you listed?

6. Kerry says:

can I use an egg sub. in this ?
    I do like your recipes, but I’m allergic to dairy and eggs…as hundreds of thousands of others. It would be great if in the future you could make a note on what substitute we could use or if it will even work with a sub.
    you would reach a much wider audience this way
    thanks !

7. Kelly says:

Is there a flour substitute for the Anna’s mix, if I don’t have that particular mix available?

• jkcafferty says:

Hi Kelly,

I’m not sure. I once heard Anna say that her yeast free mix is like Bisquick and now there is GF Bisquick available. You could try it. But if I were you, I’d just go to her website at http://www.breadsfromanna.com and order some. It is wonderful!

8. Kelly says:

This stuff is gooooood! My order from Breads by Anna came today, and I’m making this recipe for the first time. Your directions are perfect. I’m finding it easy to just fill up a 1/4 cup measuring cup with the dough before putting it on the flatbread maker. Thank you so much!