Follow Jen on Facebook Follow Jen on Twitter Follow Jen on Pinterest Email Jen Cafferty

Homemade GFCF Pop Corn Balls – Corn Syrup Free

Homemade pop corn balls are so easy to make and can be made corn syrup free.  My daughter brought home a popcorn ball from her Halloween party at school last week.  I couldn’t resist and I took a bite of it – delicious!  Then I started to think about what was in the popcorn ball and was fairly grossed out.

You can make your own popcorn balls at home.  We used organic popcorn and sorghum syrup.  My favorite sorghum syrup (which is like a maple syrup consistency with a slight molasses taste) is from Muddy Pond Sorghum Mill.  If you don’t have it in your local store, you can order it online from their website.

Corn Syrup Free GFCF Popcorn Balls

3/4 cup sorghum syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Stick (or butter)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 bags microwave popcorn (popped)

Pop the popcorn in a microwave as directed on package.  Once cooled, pour into a very large bowl.

In a medium-sized sauce pan, heat the sorghum and sugar over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon so the sugars don’t burn.  Use a candy thermometer and heat to 250 degrees.  Remove from the heat and add the baking soda and butter.  Stir to combine.

Hint: Make sure your pot is large enough to allow the sticky caramel to expand once the baking soda is added to the melted sugars.

Pour the hot sugar mixture over the popcorn and combine to coat the popcorn.  I use a wooden spoon to turn everything.  The mixture will be VERY HOT so do not touch it with your hands.

Put on rubber gloves.  Dip your hands in cold water and form popcorn into balls.  Allow to harden on waxed paper or a silpat.

Makes about 20 1 cup sized popcorn balls.

salty fig partner 23

Follow Me on TwitterLike my recipes? Don't miss one -

7 Responses to “Homemade GFCF Pop Corn Balls – Corn Syrup Free”

1. Maggie says:

Oh my, I know my 4YO would love these! I’ve never heard of sorghum syrup until today! Sounds like I could use maple syrup though, right?

• jkcafferty says:

Maggie,
      I’m not sure if maple syrup would work the same way. If you try it, let me know.
      BTW you have a great site! Stay in touch…jen

2. Jberrett says:

Curious as to what is wrong with corn syrup. Does it contain gluten?

• Angela says:

Corn syrup is awful. It is a highly processed sugar from corn. Most of the time it is made from GM corn too. We only eat organic corn for that reason. I think most people have problems with corn because it is GM and so bad for you.

This recipe sounds great! Thanks!

3. lisa says:

I hardly ever see anyone post corn free recipes, especially on GF sites, as corn is one of the main substitute ingredients to take the place of wheat and gluten. When we first found out that 2 of us are Gluten intolerant it really made our already limited corn,milk diet royal pain for while. But thanks to you and others like you, we’ve found a lot of recipes so we still enjoy eating.I’d love to make this corn syrup recipe, but there’s one small problem-the corn in the popCorn!Thanks anyway, Lisa F,Tarpon Springs,FL

• jkcafferty says:

Hi Lisa,

This recipe is for the folks that are anti-corn syrup. Not those that can’t eat corn. However, you could probably pop sorghum seeds. I don’t know how to do it but I saw them at a conference. They were like tiny pieces of popcorn and they tasted delicious. You might want to look into it:)