Follow Jen on Facebook Follow Jen on Twitter Follow Jen on Pinterest Email Jen Cafferty

Chocolate Push Pops

Are these the cutest things you’ve ever seen?  I just had to make something with the push-up tubes that I found online last week and the perfect occasion came on Father’s Day.  As always, I have to bring a dessert for my family to the family get-togethers.  Somehow our extended family has not figured out how to make a boxed cake mix that is gluten free…hmmm?  I don’t get it.  How hard is it to buy a box of Betty Crocker GF cake mix instead of the regular mix?  Mind boggling.

Anyway, I feel it is my personal mission to not only bring desserts that my kids will love but that all the cousins want to eat.  I get this funny little inner snicker going when the all the cousins want to eat my gf dessert more than the “regular” dessert.  Terrible – I know!  But I am so sick of my kids feeling left out at their own relatives house – I have become competitive now with my desserts.

These Push Pops are the easiest thing to make.  I made a batch of Pamela’s Product Brownie Mix and baked it in a thin layer (use a larger pan than what you would make for the brownies or the layers will be too thick).  I used the square pan that came in my counter-top toaster oven.  It is about 11×11 and worked perfectly.

Once the brownies were cooled I used a small round biscuit cutter and cut out rounds.  I layered them in the tubes with canned Betty Crocker GF Frosting.  A few sprinkles on top and we had the most adorable dessert!  The containers come with lids and I sent each of my kids one in their camp lunch the next day.  The other kids were so jealous of their cool dessert and they finally felt special about their food.  YEAH ME!  Finally, I made them feel like they were the “cool kids” with their GF lunch.

It seems no matter how many times I tell them that they are lucky to know what makes them feel yucky – they don’t care.  They just want to be like all the other kids with the “normal lunches”.  So I guess I’ll be making healthier versions in my next push pop experiment so I don’t keep sending frosting and cake to  lunch!

salty fig partner 23

Follow Me on TwitterLike my recipes? Don't miss one -

8 Responses to “Chocolate Push Pops”

1. Maggi says:

My family is the same way. For mine, it’s the fact that Betty Crocker’s GF cake mix is three times the price for half of the product! (One box only makes one layer.)

I understand COMPLETELY why non GF people don’t bother. And honestly, the whole idea that GF counterparts are that much more expensive really is a crime anyway. [stepping down from soapbox]

• jkcafferty says:

I agree – yet it still annoys me! But, for the few times a year we get together – a small acknowledgement for my kids would be nice. And actually, I was ranting more than I should have because they do go and make sure there is fruit or icecream or something to eat for dessert. I think the hardest part for us is my family not feeling comfortable buying products. And I don’t think that they will ever understand how left out my kids feel. Because I know for a fact that my family would kill for my kids – so making a cake would be a no brainer. I think that we have just all non-verbally decided that it is easiest if I make a dessert – then we know it is safe, will taste good and my kids have something to eat.

2. Jen says:

I must make these. Like, now.
    And my side of the family makes sure there’s stuff for me and my son to eat. My husband’s family? Sigh…we pack stuff to take with us. Annoying at best.

3. Samantha says:

I have that same inner competitiveness. I was sooo excited when my entire bunny cake was eaten at Easter before the rest of the desserts. I can’t wait to try these! And the little cups are a must.
    As for lunches, it does get hard making them like the rest of the kids. I was so grateful when our school district started offering GF hot lunches 3 days a week.

4. Andrea says:

Jen these look so adorable! I showed my son Sean and he said “whoa!”. My extended family is the same way and I agree that it’s hard to believe they couldn’t at least throw together a Betty Crocker cake. Don’t get me started…

I love it too when I make something GF and it gets rave reviews over the non GF items brought to parties. Usually quiets certain family members real quick..haha!

I must make these!

5. Kelly C. says:

For those of you who have children with celiac disease, you can request a 504 plan for your child. This would ensure that the school provides gluten free lunches. I would, however, be sure to make sure all of the people who work in the cafeteria are knowledgeable on how to avoid cross contamination. I work in a school and we have 3 faculty/staff (including myself) and 3 students who are on a gluten free diet. Our dining hall staff do a wonderful job at providing gluten free meals for us. Here’s a link about 504 plans and celiac disease.