Follow Jen on Facebook Follow Jen on Twitter Follow Jen on Pinterest Email Jen Cafferty

2012 Gluten Free Halloween Candy List

The 2012 Halloween Gluten Free Candy List is finally here!

Here is our updated 2012 Gluten Free Halloween Candy List.  We have rechecked the candies from last year and added new ones that we found this year.  We left the comments from previous years for you to see.  They are a great way to learn what other people are thinking about the same subject.

As always, it is important to check the bags/packaging and make sure ingredients have not changed since I did my research.  You can go online to the specific manufacturers to look up their gluten free lists or call the 800 number on the candy package and speak to a company representative to find out about the products.  **Please note that some small Halloween size versions contain gluten when their large “normal” size versions do not.  READ ALL LABELS before purchasing.

Also, please note that some candy is has the same name in different countries.  This list was based on US candy  manufacturers.  Some savvy readers have noted that Smarties are different in the US and Canada.  In the US, smarties are GF and in Canada (the chocolate Smarties) are not GF.  I have noted this below.

This list is already long and not totally comprehensive. I am sure there are plenty more sugary treats that could be added to the list.  If you know of additional items or you see a mistake, please let me know in the comment section below so I can update the list as needed.  Also, please add the smaller independent companies that you know about so we can send them some business too!

If you are a blogger, please feel free to share a link to this list and just give appropriate credit (from Jen Cafferty at www.gfreelife.com).

Happy Candy Eating!  You might want to make an appointment at the dentist now when you see how much candy is available to you.

The last note:  Some of this candy is made in a dedicated gluten free facility and some is not.  Please read the packaging to determine which candy is the most appropriate for your family.  Example:  Brach’s Candy Corns – these are not made with gluten-containing ingredients, however, they are made in a facility that processes wheat.  You will need to decide what level of precautions your family takes when it comes to gluten.  Some of you will eat candy as long as it isn’t made with wheat, barley or rye.  Others need a dedicated facility.

Airheads
Bottle Caps by Wonka
Brach’ Candy Corns
Break Bar by Glutino
Bubble Gum Smarties
Bubble Yum Gum
Bubblicious Gum
Butterfingers (the crisp, crunch and stixx versions contain gluten)
Candy Tree Strawberry Licorice Laces
Certs Mints
Charleston Chew (both full size and mini)
Charm Cotton Candy Lollipops & Sweet & Sour Charms
Charms Blow Pops
Chiclets Gum
Chupa Chups Fruit Lollipops
Circus Peanuts by Spangler
Clark Bars
Cleo’s Peanut Butter Cups by Go Max Go!
Cocomels Vanilla & Sea Salt Caramels
Laffy Taffy Plain, Stretchy & Tangy and Rope by Wonka
Lemonheads
Let’s Do Organic Gummy candies
Life Saver Swirl Pops
Life Savers Hard Candy and Gummies
Lollibeans Jelly Belly Lollipops
M&M’s – plain, peanut and peanut butter
Mahalo Candy Bar by Go Max Go!
Marshmallow Peeps
Push Pops
Rain-Blo Pops
Raisinets
Razzles
Red Hots
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups -
   not necessarily the shaped holiday peanut butter cups
Reese’s Pieces
Ring Pops
Rolo
Runts and Runts Chewy by Wonka
Safe T Lollipops
Shrek Lollipops
Skittles and Skittles Sour
Skor Bars by Hershey
Slap Stick Lolli Pop
Slo Poke Lollipops
Smarties (in the US only – not Canada)
Smarties Lollies
Snap! Candy Bar by Go Max Go!
Snickers Bars
Wrigley’s Gum Products
York Peppermint Patties
Yummy Earth Lollipops
Zours
salty fig partner 23

Follow Me on TwitterLike my recipes? Don't miss one -

36 Responses to “2012 Gluten Free Halloween Candy List”

1. Julie says:

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it makes me that Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are gluten free! I’m smiling just thinking about it:)

• Jen Cafferty says:

Reese’s pb cups are the thing that we always grab at the gas station when the kids deserve a special junky treat. They are SOOOOO good. I wish I had one right now!

2. great list Jen! I’m going to share it on my FB page for my blog! thanks for doing this!

3. Peggy says:

Dots & Juje Fruits are so yummy and I’ve been afraid to eat them. So happy to see them on the list!

4. Deb says:

BE CAREFUL of Reeses’s pb cups! The regular ones are safe, but some of the shaped ones are not! We bought Christmas tree’s last yr and my 12 yr old caught that they had wheat and malt!

5. Jennifer says:

Thank you SO much! FYI, The one I’ve had issues with is Reeses peanut butter cups….I always get sick when I eat the even just the Mini ones. I’ve unfortunately learned stay away from the pb cups all together. I also seem to have problems with Jr. Mints. I react to those too. Perhaps they’ve changed the Jr. Mints since I tried them last.

However, York Patties are much better anyway and I’ve never had issues. Thanks again, my grandparents will be thrilled to get this list for the kids.

6. Priscilla says:

Don’t forget Peanut Chews :P

7. j says:

mini snickers are NOT gf

8. Livilove says:

Wonderful of you to have a gluten free list on here. My brother is both gluten and casein free though so he cannot have 99% of this list. Here is a URL for those of you who are both GF & CF

Halloween can be a nightmare for the children on these diets, but these lists are great way to make it easier! Very informative! Thanks =)

9. KYMama says:

I want to reiterate what “Deb” said…I too noticed that one year the Reese’s pb trees had wheat in them for some reason…I was so glad I read the label before buying them for my son. He can eat regular ones with no problems though.

I saw “jsays” said mini snickers were not gluten free but last we checked they are and my son has eaten them with no problems…mini and regular size. Maybe there’s a cross-contamination issue?

10. Anne says:

Are candy canes gluton free?
    Thank you.

• Jen Cafferty says:

Most are gluten free but you really need to read the ingredients and check with each company. Call the 800 number on the package while you are at the store and ask the company about their products.

11. Check out http://www.jumbojellybeans.com. We are home to the world’s largest jelly beans which are also gluten free!!

12. Ashley says:

Smarties are not gluten free. Wheat is a hidden ingredient in the milk chocolate.

• Jen Cafferty says:

Ashley,

Smarties do not contain chocolate. Here is the list of ingredients. Ingredients: Dextrose, Citric Acid, Calcium Stearate, Artificial Flavors, Colors (Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 2 Lake).

13. Joy Brumback says:

Oh, thank you so much!

14. mpatriarco says:

Just wanted to say HI and Thank You, for the work you do. Blogging or e-mailing newsletters or creating the candy list. VERY challenging trying to verify candy, especially when ingredients change or can change often. Thanks again.

15. Suzanne says:

Smarties in Canada are different than Smarties in the U.S. Canadian Smarties are chocolate.

16. JenE says:

Thank you so much for this list!! Our family is newly diagnosed w/Celiac and this has been a steep learning curve for us. Lists like this are helpful in finding a starting point!!

17. Jack says:

Hi. I am a kid that just got diagnosed with Celiacs. This list really helps me with Halloween coming soon. My brother and sister thank you too, they also have Celiacs. If you can, please keep trying to add to your list. It would make me happier. Thank you :)

• Jen Cafferty says:

Hi Jack,

I’m so happy that the Halloween list will help you and your brother and sister this year. I update it every year. My kids can’t eat gluten either and that is why I have my website, to help other families. If you want to eat another kind of candy that is not on the list, have your parents contact the candy company and they might be able to tell you if the candy is safe. Whatever you do, remember your health is more important than a piece of candy. And as you can see, you have LOTS of options for safe candy. Happy Trick or Treating!!! Jen

18. LBoyd says:

confused: the celiac site says ALL brach’s candies are not gluten free, but yours says the candy corn is ok. Help, i’ve been eating them.
    didn’t see any ingredient to worry about. couls there be a cross contamination problem?

19. Carey Greene says:

We just launched a gluten free dairy free Halloween carepackage at http://soluckygifts.com/products-page/new/so-its-halloween-gluten-free-dairy-free/

We did the editing for you!

Enjoy :)